The strategic goal of the project is to improve the protection of the European swamp turtle Emys orbicularis and fire-bellied toad Bombina bombina in the five Natura 2000 areas in Poland and Denmark.
The specific objectives are:
- Increasing the area and improving the conservation status of breeding habitats and the habitats of the European pond turtle and fire-bellied toad;
- Increasing the number and preventing the disappearance of the population at the genetic level and preventing the extinction and isolation of the European pond turtle and fire-bellied toad;
- Raising the level of knowledge and environmental awareness of local communities, mainly in the area of ??species being the subject of the project.
The assumed objectives of the project will be implemented thanks to the following protection measures:
- Construction of a damming threshold in Nowe Sady (PLH 280055) to increase up to 2.3 ha of the habitat of the European pond turtle and the reproductive habitat of the fire-bellied toad.
- Construction of three systems of lower passages for small vertebrate animals to eliminate migration barriers isolating populations of European pond turtles (PLH 280055, PLH 280048, PLH 080015)
- Construction of 24 wintering places for amphibians, including fire-bellied toad (PLH 280005, DK 008X201)
- Revitalization of 62 ponds for amphibians, including lowland fire-bellied toad (PLH 280005, DK 008X201) and 2.75 ha habitats of European pond turtle dwelling (PLH 280055)
- Protection of 1.4 ha of European pond turtle breeding habitats (PLH 280055)
- Restoration of the fire-bellied toad on the island of Skaro to preserve the genetic diversity of the European fire-bellied toad (DK 008X201)
The implementation of the project will yield the following results:
- Improvement of the conservation status of breeding habitats of European pond turtle from 0.4 ha to 1.4 ha (Cudnochy; PLH 280055)
- Increasing the area of ??habitats of the European pond turtle from 0.09 ha to 0.45 ha (Faszcze; PLH 280055) and from 0.1 ha to 2.3 ha (Nowe Sady; PLH 280055)
- Recreation of 62 breeding places for the fire-bellied toad (12 pcs DK 008X201, 50 pieces PLH 280005)
- Establishment of 24 hibernation sites for the fire-bellied toad (12 DK 008X201, 12 pieces PLH 280005)
- Liquidation of three existing barriers in the mud tortoises migration corridors (1 item PLH 280055, 1 item PLH 280048, 1 item PLH 080015)
Total budget: 2,765,954 Euro
Eligible costs: EUR 2,765,954
European Union contribution: 1,659,572 Euro
National Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management
Provincial Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management in Olsztyn
PARTNERS OF THE PROJECT
Association "Man and Nature"
Amphi International ApS (Denmark)